I've been listening to a lot of WTF lately. That's Marc Maron's podcast (for those of you who don't ride the comedian podcast circuit). And generally, I find him to be pretty interesting.
Part of me really likes him a lot. Another part of me is really bothered by him, because he has (in my opinion) a lot of really severe problems with his self-perception. HOWEVER, I dig much of his work, and I think he is really cool for displaying his shortcomings for the world to see.
I finally got around to listening to his interview of Gallagher, and it was AMAZING. Seriously, you should run right out and find it, because it is brilliant.
First of all, Gallagher is insane. He immediately starts demanding his own talk show, and spouting a complete ignorance of how the world works. (For example, at one point, he insists that the highest level of showmanship is working county fairs.)
Then, amazingly enough, he and marc have a really great conversation that really dissects why people make racist and homophobic jokes, and why other people find those jokes offensive. They walk this tightrope between the two ideas, and I feel like it was really illuminating.
I was actually really upset when Gallagher stormed out, because it was a really great conversation.
Another great WTF episode to catch is the live show from April 6th, which features Sarah Vowell, Fred Armisen and Bill Hader. Bill Hader does a brief, but extremely enjoyable reading from Sarah's recent book about early mormon missionaries to Hawaii. It was splendid times a thousand. I highly recommend it.
You can download these and other fabulous podcasts (doug loves movies) on itunes, of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment